SAE recently released the new AS6081 Standard, otherwise defined as Fraudulent/Counterfeit Electronic Parts: Avoidance, Detection, Mitigation, and Disposition – Distributors.
So what does all that mean?
The new AS6081 is a quality standard designed to provide an even higher level of protection against counterfeit components for customers in the aerospace/defense industry and the global supply chain.
This new standard released by the SAE International G-19 Distributor Committee allows electronic component distributors in high-reliability markets to:
- Help identify reliable sources to procure parts through supplier/vendor management
- Evaluate/mitigate risk of fraudulent/counterfeit parts being distributed
- Assist in controlling suspect or confirmed fraudulent/counterfeit parts
- Properly report suspect and confirmed fraudulent/counterfeit parts to other potential users and Authority Having Jurisdiction
In January, Converge completed one of the first AS6081 implementation training sessions sponsored by SAE International in preparation for the certification audit.
The training session provided detailed information on AS6081 requirements and included topics such as:
- Overview on the rise of counterfeit components in the supply chain
- The certification process
- How to incorporate this standard into current quality management systems
- Identifying various AS6081 test methods
- Developing a plan for implementation and compliance
This is yet another level of quality reassurance that we can provide our high-reliability customers in the electronic components supply chain.
For more information on our certifications and the AS6081 Standard, contact us.